I have made a commitment to live my life with a sense of purpose and compassion, and being a coach has allowed me to do just that. The thing about coaching and supporting people is that you get to walk alongside them through their journeys. You experience their excitement, their disappointments, their uncertainties, and sometimes even their quiet acceptance of where life is taking them. That was what I experienced today. I caught up with a few friends, and what struck me was how differently each of them navigated their own defining moments. I’m grateful to have been part of their journeys, even if only for a while.
- Enthusiasm. A friend shared that her interview had been short and that she did not expect much from it. Even so, she appreciated the opportunity to practise her interviewing skills and treated it as a useful experience. Later in the day, I received an enthusiastic text from her saying that she had received two offers from two other companies. You could almost feel the excitement through the message. It’s indeed a good position to be in. “Sleep on it, think through the offers, and respond next week,” I suggested. I’m genuinely happy for her and grateful that she trusted me enough to let me walk this part of the journey with her.
- Matter of Fact. I had a long lunch with a friend who has cancer. I’ve kept in touch with her over the past few years since leaving the company. As always, I checked in on her health. She shared very matter-of-factly that her condition has not improved and that she does not expect to live beyond another three to five years. She has already planned for her end-of-life care and funeral arrangements. There was something sobering about hearing her speak about it so calmly, almost pragmatically. Yet, that has always been who she is. I’ve always admired her zest for life and the courage with which she faces her condition head-on.
- Quiet. I also touched base with another who had been terminated, and today was her last day. She did not say much, and her responses were mostly brief, one-word replies. I could sense her quiet mood, and perhaps it was understandable, considering she had spent quite a few years with the company. Her last day was a quiet affair - de-kitting, returning her belongings, packing up her things, and leaving. No drama, no confrontation, just a chapter coming to an end. Still, I was glad she could leave with some dignity and closure, and I wished her all the very best for whatever comes next. I’m thankful to have walked alongside her through this difficult period.
It’s been an interesting day. Three different people, each navigating their own defining moments in very different ways - one stepping into new possibilities with excitement, one facing mortality with calm acceptance, and one quietly closing a long chapter of her life. Life moves differently for all of us. Today, I was allowed to witness a small part of these journeys. Above all, supporting them through these moments also reminded me why I chose this path for myself - to live purposefully and compassionately. For that, I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment