Thursday, 2 April 2026

Grateful 2 Apr: Departures

It is a day of departures - something we are often inclined to meet with sadness. Yet, if we can learn to accept endings as readily as we accept beginnings, they may also become moments for reflection, and perhaps even gratitude. Here is why I have titled today’s post “Departures”:
  • Termination. My team lead flew in to the overseas head office yesterday at short notice, which left many of us curious and concerned. This afternoon, we received a message from him in the our group chat informing us that he had been terminated due to “business reasons”. The news came as a shock to all of us. He has been a stalwart of the team since its inception, and his sudden departure was entirely unexpected. Whatever the reasons, I remain thankful to him - for bringing me into the team and for his steady support over the past year. He has been the glue that held the team together, and his presence will be deeply missed. I wish him well in whatever comes next. 
  • Death. An ex-colleague, who was once part of my team and whom I had been coaching over the past two years, shared with us via text that her grandmother passed away this morning. The news came without warning. Almost immediately, messages of condolence began pouring in from the team. My heart goes out to her and her family. Moments like these remind me of the transient nature of life - that time is never guaranteed, and that we must treasure what we have while we have it. For this quiet but powerful reminder, I am grateful.
  • Rest. My haemorrhoids are still causing discomfort, and today I made a deliberate decision to continue resting. My step count was lower, and I kept my meals simple without overthinking them - though I believe I still managed to maintain a reasonable caloric and protein intake. I also intend to sleep early, having struggled with insomnia last night. In a way, this too feels like a form of departure - a temporary stepping back from activity, from busyness, and from the constant need to do. The postponement of my training this Sunday has eased some of the pressure I would otherwise have felt, allowing me the space to prioritise recovery. And for this pause, this small departure from routine, I am grateful. 
Perhaps departures are not always losses in the way we first perceive them. Sometimes, they are transitions - gentle or abrupt invitations to let go, to reflect, and to realign. Whether it is the parting of people, the passing of life, or even a temporary withdrawal into rest, each departure carries with it a quiet lesson. The events of today helped me realise that there is gratitude to be found even in these endings. More importantly, they reminded me of what truly matters and how I can move forward in the face of departures.

No comments:

Post a Comment