I attended a farewell dinner for my team lead this evening. It was hosted by the regional head, who is based overseas. Not everyone turned up and the evening felt somewhat performative. Nonetheless, I still want to take a moment to reflect on what I am grateful for.
- My team lead. This dinner was, ultimately, about my team lead. He was the one who brought me into the team last year when I was looking for a role as a freelance trainer. He saw a fit based on my professional experience and gave me the opportunity. I am deeply grateful for the trust and support he extended, and for the opportunities he created for me. At times, he assigned me topics beyond my expertise, simply because he believed I could step up given my breadth of exposure. Because of that, I am now teaching areas I would never have imagined myself handling just a year ago. For his belief in me, I am truly thankful.
- Regional head. There was a sense of unease among those who attended, especially fellow trainers who had worked with my team lead for many years. Over the past week, it has been clear that many feel strongly about the departure, and some have placed the blame at the regional level. Not privy to the real reasons, but whatever the case, I’m not gonna get involved in it. The decision to travel here and host the dinner felt, to some, somewhat staged. For those who attended, the key reason was to maintain relationships moving forward. Still, I would like to acknowledge the effort involved in making the trip and hosting the dinner. Regardless of intent or perception, the time and presence are something I can appreciate.
- The team. The dinner itself felt a li’l "wayang". Not everyone was invited. The explanation given was that not all email addresses were available, and so invitations went out only to those who had attended a previous gathering. While that may be difficult to fully accept, I chose not to dwell on it. There was already enough negativity surrounding the situation. Some fellow trainers who were not invited asked about the dinner, and I encouraged one of them to come by regardless. Ultimately, it is important to remain professional. We will need to continue working with the regional office, and relationships still matter. Putting everything aside, I was grateful for the chance to reconnect with fellow trainers. We do not often get to meet, and I always value every opportunity to meet.
The dinner itself was brief, lasting less than 2 hours. Despite the mixed emotions and underlying tensions, I am thankful that it took place. It was a reminder that professionalism matters, especially during difficult transitions.
I am also reminded of the Chinese saying that no banquet lasts forever - every good thing eventually comes to an end. It feels particularly apt in this moment. There is a sense of loss, especially for those who have worked closely with my team lead for many years. While the emotions are understandable, I trust that, in time, everyone will find a way to move forward with maturity and professionalism.
No comments:
Post a Comment