Today is April Fools’ Day. But no, I did not end up teasing anyone, much as I thought it might be fun to do so. Perhaps April Fools’ jokes do not come as naturally to a near 60-year-old anymore! Heh… anyway, the day turned out to be more tiring than I had expected not because of anything major, but simply from the usual, everyday things. And that, in itself, is something I am thankful for.
- D. I met D for breakfast this morning, and we had a really nice chat. It had been a while since we last ate together, and it felt good to spend that time with him, just the two of us. I have known of him since the mid-90s, back when going to Fort Road was a trend. He was one of the more popular and attractive guys, and many of the gay men who hung out there had their eyes on him. But I never once spoke to him. One of my friends dated him for a while, and after they broke up, he went on to date another mutual friend. I kept my distance, preferring to stay low-profile. Fast forward 30 years, and I met him by chance last year. That was when we started chatting, and over time, we got to know each other better. Coming back to today - it was a simple breakfast, followed by accompanying him and another friend for a foot massage before we went our separate ways. Nothing extraordinary, but quietly warm and meaningful.
- L. L contacted me a couple of days ago to say she had a doctor’s appointment today to assess a lump on her neck and determine if it might be cancerous. She is an ex-colleague and a cancer survivor. About a decade ago, she went through a major operation, and during that period - from pre-op to recovery - she leaned on me quite a bit for emotional support. She came through it, eventually got married, and I was honoured to be a witness at her solemnisation. We have stayed in touch since, with the occasional visit. So when she reached out again about the lump, I could not help but wonder if there had been a relapse. Even so, I have always admired her courage and her zest for life. When she messaged this evening to say that the initial assessment suggests it is not cancerous, I felt a deep sense of relief. She will still need further tests over the weekend, but for now, I am grateful for this piece of good news. I truly wish her all the best for the next phase.
- Medication. Something clicked in my mind today - that there are over-the-counter medications available for haemorrhoids. After saying goodbye to D and T, I walked to the pharmacy to get some. I also told M about it, and he sent me a link to a cream, which I went ahead to purchase as well. The pain has improved today, though I still feel discomfort when shifting between standing and sitting. Hopefully, the medication will help things settle over the next few days. I am grateful for the accessibility of such treatments. I probably should have thought of this earlier, but as they say, better late than never. Now, I just hope it works.
So here we are - April Fools’ Day, yet there was nothing foolish about today. It was a day of simple routines, meaningful connections and reassurances. And oh, I got my laptop issue resolved! Yay! So yeah, today showed me how much warmth there is in the ordinary, and how fortunate I am to have people around me who bring that into my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment