Today, I’m grateful I chose to pause. I decided to put my well-being ahead of work and take a break from training prep, even though there’s still quite a bit to be done. Instead, I went for the treetop walk - and it turned out to be the best decision of the day.
- Good Company. On the bus to Venus Drive, I noticed a bear - Chinese, bearded, in his 30s - seated in front of me looking quite stressed - his phone was at 10% and his portable battery wasn’t doing much better. I wanted to help as I had a fully charged portable battery but couldn’t at that point since I was getting off soon. As it turned out, he got off at the same stop as me, so I asked if he needed help, which he accepted sheepishly. We ended up heading to the same place and walked together, chatting along the way. He from CA Orange County and this was his first visit to Sgp. It was nice just sharing about the treetop walk, the flora, and quite a bit about Sgp - our culture, food, different races, history and much more. What started as a small offer to help became good company for the walk. I’m grateful for that - it made the whole experience so much more enjoyable. And it all worked out - his phone was fully charged when we parted ways.
- Bus Journey. The walk was not too difficult but there was a short drizzle towards the end, and combined with the afternoon heat, it started to take a toll. I was a little tired and very dehydrated. I don’t think it’s age - the guy I walked with seemed even more tired than I was, probably made worst by jet lag and adjusting to the weather. I bade him farewell at the MRT station and decided to take the bus instead. I was feeling a little faint by the time I got to the bus stop. When I got on the bus, I was really thankful to get a seat. The aircon felt especially good.
- Home. Reaching home was such a huge relief. I drowned myself with lotsa water, took a cold shower, and just lay down. Nothing fancy, but it all felt so good after the walk. A quick 15-min nap was enough to re-energise me. I’m grateful for these simple comforts - the ability to rest, recover, and just be in my own space.
All in, it was a simple day, but a good one.
I’m glad I made the trip to MacRitchie, grateful for the unexpected company, and thankful I could help someone in a small way.

No comments:
Post a Comment