It’s Sunday, and I was supposed to be conducting training today. However, due to a last-minute admin issue, I had to swap my slot with another trainer. That left me with a full day to myself - and it turned out to be a good one. Here’s what I did, and why I’m glad I did it:
- Windsor Park Nature Trails. I woke up early, as I usually would on a training day. But instead of rushing through my preparations, I had a slow, unhurried breakfast in Simei before heading to Windsor Park Nature Trails in the Central Catchment Area. The trails could have led me to the MacRitchie Reservoir Treetop Walk, which was my initial plan, but as I walked, I decided not to go that far. Instead, I explored a couple of shorter paths. The sun had only just risen, the air was still cool, and the canopy was dew-drenched. It was deeply refreshing. It had been a long time since I last took a forest walk at 7-ish in the morning, and I’m glad I returned to it.
- Morning indulgences. I felt a little hungry when I got back to Simei and decided to have a second breakfast - or perhaps, more accurately, brunch. This time, I treated myself to a double fish fillet burger and an apple pie. I think the last time I had one was about a year ago. I’ve been keeping away from fast food in my efforts to eat clean and stick to a strict calorie count. So the double fish fillet and apple pie is a nice way to reward myself, especially after a morning walk! Back home, I took a 15-min nap - something I don’t usually do. But having woken up at 4am, it felt deserved. The rest refreshed me. Without planning it, the morning became one of small indulgences - the extra treat, the nap - things I had quietly denied myself. I had missed these small rewards! It also reminded me of how I sometimes “rebel” when told what I shouldn’t eat (with ChatGPT, no less!) - because then the question becomes: what’s the point of living? Heh...
- Afternoon indulgences. I headed out again before noon, intending to attend my Buddhist class. But in a last-minute, rather spontaneous decision, I chose instead to go shopping. I ended up at Parkway Parade, a place that has always felt like home to me - after all, it was where I used to hang out in my late teens. There’s something quietly therapeutic about being there. While wandering, I decided - once again - to treat myself, this time to a plate of premium rojak. It was pure bliss: the mix of fruits, you char kueh, tau pok, bean sprouts, and dried squid, all coated in prawn paste and ground peanuts. I had missed it. I told myself it was for my mental well-being, recalling something I had read recently - at 60, do what makes you happy; don’t keep putting it off. I’m glad I didn’t.
So yes, today turned out to be a day of indulgence, even as I worked towards my daily walking target. Reflecting on it, perhaps this is my way of holding a balance - staying disciplined in my diet and exercise, while still tending to my well-being and allowing space for joy. I’m grateful the day unfolded the way it did.

It seems I almost always feel guilty after rewarding myself with food. A double fish fillet burger and apple pie? Please don't tell me you were at McDonalds!
ReplyDeleteYes, it’s McDonalds indeed! 😊
Delete