Friday, 3 April 2026

Grateful 3 Apr: A Good Friday


It’s the Good Friday public holiday, and I decided to head somewhere far away today. The day turned out much better than I had expected - perhaps even what a “good” Friday should feel like, in its own simple way.

  • Jurong Lake Gardens. I told myself I wanted to go somewhere for a walk in nature, but I couldn’t quite decide where. I had options such as Sungei Buloh Wetlands, Jurong Lake Gardens, Mandai Nature Trail (by the zoo), or even Gardens by the Bay. It was only when I was already on the MRT that I decided Jurong would be the best option - the MRT stops right by the gardens. I ended up spending a pleasant day there. The weather was a little warm, but the walk was enjoyable, with much to see and experience. It was also my first visit to the Japanese Garden since it opened in 1975. I am grateful I made the decision to visit Jurong.
  • Time with D. When I arrived at the Chinese Garden, I thought it would be nice to text D. After all, he lives in the western part of Singapore and has often lamented that we easterners rarely venture to the west. So once I arrived at the Chinese Garden, I sent him a picture of the pagoda. He recognised it immediately, and suggested meeting for lunch. We ended up lunching at Taman Jurong Hawker Centre before walking through both the Chinese Garden and Japanese Garden. So grateful that he made time to meet me! Was totally unexpected and especially at such short notice.
  • Tea with K. I had also checked in with K earlier in the morning, thinking it might be nice to meet for a drink since it was a public holiday. He already had plans, so we left it at that. As it turned out, while I was on my way home from Jurong, he messaged to say he had finished his programme. We ended up meeting for a relaxed afternoon tea in town, followed by a visit to the temple. That visit gave me the space to pray for good health and for things to go smoothly at work, especially in light of recent developments with my training team lead and my current bout of piles. It was a timely opportunity to pause and centre myself.
It was a simple the day. Yet it felt full and meaningful - time in nature, great companionship, and a moment of reflection. Perhaps that is the gentle blessing of this Good Friday: not just a public day marked on the calendar, but one that turned out to be, quite simply, a good Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment