It’s Labour Day, a public holiday, and I finally decided to do something I had wanted to do for quite a while - visit Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve. By all accounts, it was meant to be a restful day, but I ended up experiencing much more than that. On that note, let me give thanks for the following:
- Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve. Finally made it to the reserve. It had been on my mind for quite some time, and although I had made several attempts previously, they never materialised for various reasons. I took a two-hour journey there, only to stay about 45 minutes because of an impending thunderstorm. Still, I was glad I went. I managed to hike through the coastal trail and mangrove swamp, and from across the waters, I could even see Malaysia. For a moment, I felt like a local tourist. Stepping out of my usual spaces and routines turned out to be a refreshing escape.
- Foreign Workers. The visit to the northern part of Singapore, made up largely of industrial estates, felt somewhat surreal. Yet, I am thankful I made the trip because it allowed me to experience a side of Singapore that I would not normally encounter if I had remained within familiar spaces. Being a public holiday, it was also a day off for many foreign workers. The buses and trains were crowded with South Asians - Indians, Bangladeshis, and others - and for a moment, it hardly felt like Singapore. Admittedly, I felt somewhat uncomfortable because everything around me felt unfamiliar. But upon reflection, these workers are far away from home, making sacrifices and filling labour gaps that many of us would not take on ourselves. And for that, I am grateful.
- “Homecoming”. After the visit, I made my way to Marine Parade via the MRT. Marine Parade is a place I grew up in and one that feels deeply familiar to me. What struck me during the journey was how noticeably the profile of commuters changed along the way - from one that were made up almost entirely of South Asians to one that was far more heterogeneous and reflective of Singapore’s broader demographic mix. The contrast felt especially stark. It felt like a homecoming of sorts. There was a sense of familiarity and safety in returning to a place that felt like home. I had a late lunch, made my way back, and by then I was thoroughly exhausted. Thankfully, I managed to get some rest.
In all, today reminded me how easy it is to remain within familiar spaces and routines. Yet sometimes, stepping outside them - even briefly - allows us to see life, people, and even ourselves a little differently. Perhaps gratitude also comes from learning to sit with both comfort and discomfort, and recognising that every person around us is simply trying to build a life the best way they know how.






No comments:
Post a Comment