Sunday, 3 May 2026

Grateful 3 May: RIP

My aunt just passed on 2 hours ago. I am still processing the news even as I type this. So let me keep this short and give thanks for: 

  • My Aunt. She was in her 90s and had lived a long and full life. I was about to leave my Buddhist class when my cousin’s WhatsApp came in: “My mum just passed away at the hospital.” Everything came to a standstill for a moment. I last saw her during CNY and she was already frail then. I may not have been as close to her as I was to another aunt, but the passing of an elder in the family still carries weight. Her quiet presence over the years helped hold the extended family together, and I am grateful for that. 
  • My Cousins. I am thankful to my cousins for rallying around my aunt during her final years. They have consistently included me in their regular family gatherings, and that gave me a strong sense of belonging. In particular, I am grateful to PL for remembering me and informing me of her passing. We had spoken before about managing the eventuality of my aunt’s passing. The next few days will no doubt be emotionally and physically draining for her and the rest of the family. For this evening, I will give them space to settle the immediate arrangements and visit tomorrow when things are a little more settled. 
  • My Extended Family. We all move through different phases of life, and I am at an age where family gatherings increasingly happen at what we Chinese call “white events” rather than “red events”. In the coming days, I will likely reconnect with many of my other cousins and relatives during the wake. Despite the occasion, there is something quietly comforting about families coming together again. Perhaps this too is part of what keeps a family connected across generations.
My aunt was in her 90s and, mentally, I think all of us knew her passing would come sooner rather than later. Still, when it finally happens, it feels unsettling. Yet beneath the sadness, I also sense other emotions - gladness that her passing was peaceful, relief that her suffering has ended, gratitude that she was surrounded by family in her final moments, and a quiet sense of celebration for a life that was long lived. And perhaps my cousin expressed it best when he said, “Mom is in a better place and she is finally reunited with my dad once again.” 

RIP Ah Kor.

No comments:

Post a Comment