These days, life has settled into a rather familiar rhythm - visiting T daily, meeting D and sometimes his friends for meals, catching up with colleagues and simply staying connected with people around me. On the surface, things may seem routine. Yet within these routines, I continue to find meaning, warmth and moments that I am quietly grateful for.
- An Unlikely Rallying Point. T has been very unwell over the past two days and his condition has deteriorated quite significantly. He coughed up blood yesterday and was too ill to interact with us when we visited him. However, today he seemed somewhat more alert and energetic. He was able to notice our presence and, at times, utter a few words. Small things, perhaps, but they mattered. What T may never fully realise is that through his illness, he has unknowingly become a rallying point for many of us — for me, D, some of our mutual friends, and even his siblings. It is through these visits that I have also come to know D’s friends, S and V, better. Tonight, after visiting T, the 4 of us went for dinner together. In a strange but meaningful way, T has brought people together. For that, too, I am deeply thankful.
- Surprise Visit by N. I have known N since my days in the aviation industry. In fact, I had recruited him. We remained in contact even after I left the industry. So this morning, I had a pleasant surprise when N texted me at 8am with a simple “Good morning”. I was puzzled at first because he is from India and it should have been the middle of the night there. I later learnt that he was transiting in Singapore on his way to North Asia for a holiday. As his flight was only at night, he had the day to spare and we quickly arranged to meet. His wife was with him and we ended up spending a really lovely afternoon chatting over a meal. It felt spontaneous, easy and comforting - the kind of catch-up that reminds me how connections that began as professional relationships can gradually evolve into friendships, quietly enduring despite time and distance. I am really glad he reached out.
- Vegetarianism. Yesterday marked the start of the 4th lunar month and, as part of my yearly practice, I began observing vegetarianism again. I will continue to do so until Vesak Day. This is a personal practice and a commitment I made to myself as a Buddhist. After so many years, it has become almost second nature to me. Even so, I am always mindful that my dietary restrictions may inconvenience friends when we meet for meals during this period. What touched me over these 2 days was how readily friends adjusted their own meal choices so that we could dine together - just like how D, S and V decided on an impromptu vegetarian dinner today! It reminded me again that meals are never just about food. There is something deeply comforting about sharing a table, adjusting for one another and simply enjoying each other’s company. Honestly, food always tastes better when eaten communally.
So while these days may appear routine on the surface, they have also been filled with quiet moments that remind me how fortunate I am to have people around me who continue to connect, make space for one another and journey together through both ordinary and difficult days.
No comments:
Post a Comment