Saturday, 30 May 2026

Grateful 29 & 30 May: Non-Attachment

Tomorrow is Vesak Day, a day that commemorates the Buddha's birth, attainment of enlightenment, and passing into Parinibbana. It is an important day for Buddhists, regardless of tradition, and many will observe it through celebrations, prayers, rituals, vegetarianism, and personal reflection. I will reflect more deeply on it tomorrow, but for these past 2 days, I would like to give thanks for the following:

  • 3-Step-1-Bow. I have observed the 3-Step-1-Bow ceremony every year since 1990. It was originally a vow I undertook to give thanks for attaining good results during my undergraduate studies. Since then, the ceremony has only been interrupted a few times - during SARS, during COVID, and once when a heavy thunderstorm forced us to stop midway and move into the main hall for a talk by the temple abbot. The ceremony usually begins on the eve of Vesak Day, as it does today. This year, however, I will not be able to participate for reasons I shall not mention here. Yet this limitation has deepened my awareness of my practice, and I am grateful for that. Buddhism teaches non-attachment, and I reminded myself not to become overly attached to attending the ceremony itself. Instead, I will spend tomorrow visiting temples and volunteer at Buddhist events in the coming week. Perhaps this is a meaningful way to devote my energy this year.
  • Meditation. I started meditating regularly in Jul or Aug last year. What began as a way to calm myself down, and also to make use of available time, gradually became a daily practice. In the early months, I would feel a slight sense of guilt whenever I missed a session, telling myself that I was not disciplined enough or that I had neglected my practice. Over time, I realised that mindfulness is not confined to formal meditation. My attachment to the idea that I had to sit and meditate in order to "qualify" as practising had caused unnecessary self-judgement. These days, when I have commitments such as training sessions or events, I simply make an effort to be mindful while travelling on the MRT, going for my walks, or carrying out daily routines. Having said that, I still make it a priority to sit and meditate whenever possible. I am grateful to the many people who have guided and supported me along the way, including my Buddhist class facilitator and my Buddhist counsellor. Through this practice, I have become calmer, more aware of my surroundings, and more present in each moment.
  • Vegetarianism. As part of my Vesak observance, I usually follow a vegetarian diet for 15 days leading up to Vesak Day. When I first started doing this years ago, I found it extremely challenging. Over time, however, it has become much easier. This year, the 2 weeks passed so naturally that I hardly noticed them. I think this is partly because vegetarian food is now more widely available. More importantly, however, I have become less attached to the idea of having vegetarian food and have learned to accept circumstances as they are. If there are no vegetarian options nearby, I simply eat bread and move on. In this sense, vegetarianism is as much a state of mind as it is a dietary practice. If I make an issue out of it, it becomes one. If I am not attached to it, it ceases to trouble me. I am grateful for this realisation.
These past 2 days have been restful and reflective. Tomorrow is Vesak Day, and I will commemorate it by visiting temples and spending time in reflection. I look forward to the day with gratitude and a renewed commitment to my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment