Saturday, 16 May 2026

Grateful 15 & 16 May: T

It has been two meaningful days for me, and both centred around T, my terminally ill friend. I want to talk about it here, and also share what I am grateful for. 

  • T. I have known T since last July. It was through D that I got to know him much better. Without going into too much detail, there was once when T walked past me and handed me a sweet. I appreciated that simple gesture very much, and on another occasion, I went up to thank him. That was how we first got to know each other. I later learnt from D that T had initially mistaken us to be partners. Nonetheless, the 3 of us eventually spent quite a bit of time together. It came as quite a rude shock when he was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. His cancer was highly aggressive, and within the last 6 months, he had deteriorated to the point where he is now mostly bedridden. He has been given a prognosis of a few weeks to, at most, 2 - 3 months. I am grateful for his friendship. It may have been short, but I can see that he is of good character, and I deeply appreciate the warmth and kindness he has shown me. 
  • T’s siblings. Over the past few weeks, I have gotten to know T’s siblings and spoken with them on many occasions. They do not know the circumstances of how D and I came to know T, nor do they know that both of us are gay. On one occasion, it was slightly awkward when T’s sister asked me about my wife and children, but I politely changed the topic. Nonetheless, I am grateful to them for being so hospitable and gracious towards us, and for treating us as T’s close friends. 
  • Visit to River Wonders. T had expressed a wish to visit River Wonders to see pandas. He had never seen a real panda before, and Wish Ambulance Singapore organised the visit for him. T invited D and I to join him and his siblings. It was a lovely visit, though also a poignant one, knowing this could possibly be the last time he would leave the hospice alive. The mood throughout the visit felt heavy in an unspoken way. Everyone was cheerful and happy to see the animals and the panda, but at the same time, we could all see how tired he was and how much effort it took for him to keep going. The visit lasted only about 4 - 5 hours, but it was obvious that it had completely drained him by the time the visit ended. I am grateful he invited me. It gave me the opportunity to know his family better and to be part of what may well be his final outing. 
  • Supporting T & D. D and I visited him again today, and he had clearly not recovered from the outing. He was exhausted and could barely stay awake most of the time we were there. D and I chatted quietly while he slept, occasionally coughing and needing to clear his sputum. I could also sense D managing his own grief as he watched T slowly fade away. It was a sombre sight. I told myself that I want to be there as much as my schedule allows - not just to keep T company, but also to support D during this period. I am grateful that I can be there for both of them in some small way. 
So this post is really about T. I would not dare to say that I know him very well, but when a friend is in this state of health, it is difficult not to reach out. I am grateful that he opened up and extended his friendship to me. He is straight, but very accepting and comfortable around us. D often tells me that T would say I am a little too serious and should loosen up more. He also liked teasing me together with some of our mutual friends. I am glad that I can be around to bring him some comfort and to support him as he walks through these final weeks of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment