It’s been two long days attending and helping out at the wake. Tomorrow is the funeral. The prayers will start at 7:45am and the cremation will be at 9:30am. I need to leave my place at 6am, so I’m going to keep this post short and simply focus on what I am grateful for.
- Managing the Living. It was supposed to be a Buddhist funeral, but when I first arrived at the wake, I noticed all the Taoist paraphernalia - paper house, car, gold and silver mountains, and other elaborate offerings. I later learned that another aunt had raised the need, and my cousins had dutifully arranged for them. The exact same thing happened during my dad’s funeral. It reminded me once again that funerals are not just about honouring the dead, but also about comforting the living. Sometimes people do certain things not because they believe in them, but because they want to give others peace of mind, avoid regret, and allow everyone to grieve without conflict. I was grateful that the family understood this and chose harmony over insistence.
- Folding Joss Paper. Given that it’s a Buddhist-Taoist funeral, much of the last two days was spent folding joss paper. Everyone chipped in quietly. Perhaps what’s important was not about preparing offerings for the deceased but more about what it did for the living. Sitting together, folding paper and chatting in between moments of silence gave us space to gather, reconnect, and simply be present with one another. I’m thankful for this simple yet meaningful tradition.
- Funeral Preparations. It was touching to see everyone dressed according to their generation’s colour. At a glance, you could tell who were from my generation (the children), my nieces and nephews (the grandchildren), and my grandniece and grandnephew (the great-grandchildren). It reminded me that funerals are not just about death, but also about continuity - about family lines, relationships, and belonging. These traditions may appear old-fashioned to some, but I find something deeply meaningful in them. They bring structure and clarity during a time when emotions can easily feel overwhelming.
Tomorrow will no doubt be emotional. But more than anything else, I find myself grateful to witness how closely knit this family is. Over these two days, I have watched them look out for one another in both big and small ways - helping with funeral matters, checking in on one another, reminding each other to eat, and making sure no one carries the burden alone. In moments like this, you see clearly what family truly means. And I am grateful to be part of that extended family.

No comments:
Post a Comment