Thursday, 28 August 2014

competency-based leadership interview

yup, this was what i went through today. and the interview lasted a good 2hr 45min. it was so draining having to answer the questions one after another. and all the questions were open-ended. some questions seemed rather straight forward, but many-a-times i had to interpret and frame the questions myself.

and as i had wanted to from the start, i wanted to just be natural and share what comes to mind. be authentic, i told myself. this way, whichever and however way the interview is analysed, the outcome would help people know me as me. no pretence. if i can achieve that, and if i were to be eventually hired, it would contribute to team effectiveness.

glad i survived the long interview. been a long time since i last had such a long telephone conversation with anyone!

:-)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jeffrey,

    Wow! I've never heard of an interview call lasting that long: were they testing for bladder control ;-) Kidding aside, that sounds intense.

    Hope all goes well.

    Best wishes, Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Yup, it was intense alright. Reflecting, I think I didn't give satisfactory answers to the industry-specific questions. Then again, it perhaps reflects my unfamiliarity with it. But well, let's just wait and see.

    :-)

    Thanks for the best wishes Edwin! Appreciate it.

    Everything well on your side too, I hope.


    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeffrey,

    It all comes down to what their priorities are. Hopefully, they will choose leadership, creative solutions and competence rather than industry knowledge (ok, I stacked that a little ;-)

    My ex-father-in-law recently passed away: he was a really good guy. He was the last soldier living that I personally knew who fought in WWII (Omaha Beach on D Day, then onward in France). He chose a military funeral. He had a good long life and will be missed.

    He shared my mother's birthday (literally: they were born only a few hours apart on the same day, and about 300 miles ;-)

    I took mother for her Quarterly physical Wednesday and that went well (well everything needs to be tested but her doctor was pleased: he believes her well being at 90 is due to her fierce independence. I won't disagree).

    Take care, Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Edwin,

    I am so sorry to hear of the passing. From your sharing, he had had an eventful and good life and is blessed with a family that remain close to him at the time of his passing.

    Please accept my belated condolences.


    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete