Tuesday, 31 March 2026

Smells a rat…

A friend contacted me and told me the following story:

“Hi… I no longer have my house and I’ve been scammed and have lost more than a million dollars. Two days ago, the police called me and arranged for me to meet up with the PM. The PM leh! And they said they will try to get my money back to me from overseas. But they are asking me to put a deposit of $100k. I need help. Can you lend me $30k? I will return you the full sum by end-April”

I said no politely and we ended the conversation. He then texted me:

“Will you be able to lend me $5k instead? I’ll return the full amount in 2 months, complete with interest.”

I rejected him again. He is a friend and to get this call, I feel sad for him. My heart feels bad not helping him but my head tells me that it is obviously a scam.

4 comments:

  1. What is the PM? You're right to say no. It's likely he will lose this money too. I agree - this whole thing looks really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw PM I thought Prime Minister. The Prime Minister of Singapore would get involved in an individual's fraud case? That didn't seem to make sense.

    ReplyDelete