It is the eve of Hari Raya Aidilfitri (Festival of Eid), and it also happens to be the school holiday week. Many places feel less crowded than usual. I am grateful for this, as everything seems less rushed and, by extension, less stressful. In such moments, one can simply take a step back and watch the world go by - slowly and deliberately, noticing things that might otherwise slip past the conscious mind. And that was what I found myself doing today.
- Tampines West. I wandered around Tampines West this afternoon. The last time I was here was about 2 to 3 weeks ago with my sister and brother-in-law for the Chap Goh Meh (last day of CNY) dinner. Tbh, Tampines West is not a place I would usually visit these days, as it is not well connected by public transport and tends to be crowded. Part of the reason I returned today was rather light-hearted. You see, during that CNY dinner, I had noticed a rather cute, hunky guy working at one of the coffee shops, and I thought I might chance upon him again. Alas, he was nowhere to be seen. But in return, I discovered something else: a variety of eateries and zichar stalls that I had not paid attention to before. I also enjoyed a plate of chicken rice with duck gizzard - my first time trying it, and, surprisingly, thought it was nice.
- Simei. After lunch, I decided to head to my usual coffee shop in Simei for my kopi-o kosong. It was then that I realised there is no direct MRT nor bus route between Tampines West and Simei MRT, where the coffee shop is located. Feeling a little adventurous, I boarded whichever bus that came along to see where it would take me. In doing so, I discovered that Services 69 and 5 connect these two areas. I even alighted one stop earlier to save 20 cents on the fare. A small, almost trivial detail - but somehow part of the charm of the afternoon. A quiet little lesson in navigation, and perhaps in perspective, to which will come in handy in future. And I am grateful for it.
- Giant. During my frequent walks along the park connectors around my area, I often notice discarded beer cans on the ground. I have occasionally seen groups of foreign workers spending their time there - having their dinner and chatting - and I assume these cans may have been left behind in the process. It is something that continue to irk me, so much so that I have taken to picking them up and disposing of them properly when I can. Through this simple act, I became more aware of the different beer brands. Today, while at Giant supermarket, I noticed those very same cans on the shelves. At about $4 per can, they are not cheap. It made me pause and reflect - on choices, on habits, and on the unseen stories behind everyday scenes. I choose not to speculate, but simply to observe and acknowledge.
Today’s small discoveries - coffee shops, zichar stalls, duck gizzards, bus routes, and even beer prices - may seem ordinary or trivial on the surface. Yet, taken together, they offered me new insights into places, people, and everyday living. Also, they reminded me that when I slow down, pay attention, and stay open, even the most unremarkable moments can become quietly meaningful. And for that, I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment