It’s Hari Raya Aidilfitri today - such a joyous occasion, and a public holiday too. I decided to sleep in before making my way to MacRitchie Reservoir for a walk and a bit of sun, ahead of meeting my buddy for dinner. On the whole, it was a lovely day, made so by the following:
- Hari Raya Aidilfitri. It was such a delight to see the Malay community out in full force, all beautifully dressed as they celebrate the occasion. These days, the variety of attire is especially striking - from the traditional baju kurung, to the more form-fitting sarong kebaya, to those dressed more conservatively with tudung and, for some, black tunics. What stood out most to me was how families coordinated their outfits. There is something deeply heartwarming about that. I feel grateful to be able to celebrate this festival with them.
- The bus driver. Living in a multicultural society means that during festive periods, people from different communities often step in to keep essential services running. During Chinese New Year, for instance, many frontline roles are taken on by non-Chinese staff. And of course, there are always some who choose to work on their own festive holidays. Today, I boarded a bus driven by a Malay driver. My first thought was, “Aiyoh, he should be celebrating with his family instead of working.” Then again, he must have had his reasons. As I alighted, I wanted to show my appreciation and in my way to celebrate the occasion with him, wished him “Selamat Hari Raya”, placing my hand on my heart. He responded with a broad smile, almost a grin, and returned the greeting in the same manner. I felt grateful to him for being at work today.
- Dinner with M. It has been a while since I last had a proper dinner out with M. With both our schedules, it has not been easy to find time to meet. So I was especially glad that we managed to do so today. And it was so nice to be able to take a drive around Seletar after dinner! Been a while! The evening was simple, yet meaningful as we celebrate our friendship! Happy and grateful.
Hari Raya Aidilfitri marks the end of fasting for the Muslim community, but in many ways, the celebration extends beyond - shared and experienced by people of different backgrounds. I am grateful to live in a multicultural environment where we can partake in one another’s celebrations. And for many non-Muslims, it is also a time to reconnect with friends and loved ones.
All in all, it was indeed a lovely day.
No comments:
Post a Comment