Today, I found myself becoming more aware of something I often take for granted - my senses. In the midst of an otherwise ordinary day, small moments drew my attention to how I experience the world through smell, taste, and sight. These are not grand realisations, but quiet ones that gently remind me there is depth even in the most basic human faculties.
- Taste. I had a bowl of fish soup for lunch today and found it too salty for my liking. In fact, this heightened saltiness seemed to have become increasingly pronounced over the past week or two. And I wondered if my palate has changed. You see, since CNY, I have been trying to manage my weight after regaining what I had previously lost, and one key adjustment has been reducing my sodium intake. It seems that this conscious effort has recalibrated my taste buds, making me more sensitive to salt. Positively, this shift has also allowed me to experience flavours more distinctly — fish tastes more “fishy”, and eggs more “eggy”. It feels like rediscovering food with a renewed palate, and I am curious about what other experiences this “new tongue” might bring.
- Smell. As I walked along a canal near the MRT depot, with hardly anyone within sight, I was suddenly met with a strong, flowery fragrance. While flowery smells are often associated with the supernatural, this experience felt different. It was the middle of the day - hot, bright, and sunny - hardly the setting for such encounters. More importantly, the scent itself is different from what I had previously experienced. I also did not get that sudden chilly feel. With that awareness, I found myself becoming curious rather than fearful. I do not have an explanation for what I experienced, but I am grateful that my sense of smell, together with past experience, helped me navigate my emotions - shifting me from fear to curiosity.
- Sight. It was low tide during my walk and with it came sights that I do not usually get to see. The lowered water level revealed an abundance of oysters and barnacles clinging to the canal walls, forming textures and patterns that would otherwise remain hidden. I also saw white egrets perched quietly along the canal edge, watching the shallow waters with intent, clearly on the lookout for an opportunistic catch. It struck me that these sights had always been there, just not always visible - or perhaps not always noticed. And in that moment, I found myself appreciating not just the ability to see, but the opportunity to observe more closely. It was a gentle reminder that what we see often depends on when - and how - we choose to look.
As I look back on these experiences, I realise that my senses are not merely functional - they shape how I interpret and respond to the world around me. They guide my emotions, influence my habits, and evolve alongside me with age and experience.
Perhaps that is the quiet gift in all of this - not just that I can see, taste, or smell, but that through them, I continue to learn, adapt, and stay curious. And for that, I am deeply grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment