Today I found myself in a happy yet somewhat WTF situation. It was quite funny when I thought about it, and it certainly broke the monotony of what had otherwise been a peaceful day. Here are the details - and I am thankful for the day too.
- Nice catch-up. There are those friends with whom you can share your darkest - and even your sexiest - secrets, things you might not even talk about with your partner. And I do have one such friend, whom I affectionately address as “Sister”. We had a very nice catch-up this afternoon. It has been quite a while since we last met face-to-face, and I am glad to see that he is doing well. I have known him for close to 19 years, and he has seen both the best and the worst of me through my relationships and career. Friends like these are rare, and I am grateful for his presence in my life.
- Beautiful walk. I took the MRT to Botanic Gardens and walked towards the Central Catchment area, eventually reaching MacRitchie Reservoir. It has been a while since I last took a late afternoon walk, and I was glad I did so today. The walk took me through the private estates fringing University Road, past the busy PIE, and Bukit Brown Cemetery. The transition from the busy post-office-hour traffic to the quiet peace of the forest was quite a contrast. Once I entered the forest, it immediately felt calmer. The natural environment energised me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am thankful that in this highly urbanized island, there are still such natural environments for us to enjoy.
- Ermmm… the happy yet WTF moment. After my walk at MacRitchie Reservoir, I took the MRT home. I felt somewhat tired and I guessed my tiredness showed. When I boarded the train, a man stood up and offered me his seat. It felt totally weird! He was probably in his early-50s, and honestly he looked less fit than I did, with a protruding stomach and all. I politely declined his offer, but he insisted. To avoid drawing further attention, I thanked him and simply sat down. I supposed my post-shower messy salt-and-pepper hair must have either made me looked extra tired or extra old! On one hand, I was happy to rest. Yet on the other hand, being offered a seat by someone in his early-50s… that was definitely a WTF moment for me. Still, I am grateful to that gentleman for his offer.
I end the day feeling grateful for: a nice catch up with a friend, the quiet energy of nature, and the unexpected kindness from a stranger on the MRT.



No comments:
Post a Comment