Several things happened today that reminded me of life as a whole. It is interesting how life’s lessons appear when you least expect it - in a simple book, the memory of a loved companion, or even the fleeting presence of a bird. Each moment reminds me of the beauty, impermanence, and interconnectedness of life. So today, I give thanks for:
- Big Panda & Little Dragon. I mentioned this last week and realized I’ve had the book with me all along. I took it off my bookshelf this morning, skimmed through it, and was immediately hooked all over again. It’s such a simple, straightforward read, yet full of life lessons. Every illustration and quote feels so relatable. I’m thankful for this rediscovery and the joy it brings.
- Sapphie. Sapphie, my late dog (photo above), passed away on 22 March 2016 - exactly 10 years ago this month. A spontaneous question from my buddy about past pets prompted me to look through some old photos I had kept. Seeing her brought a smile to my face, tinged with a little ache in my heart. I thank her for the selfless love she gave me over 15 years and 4 months of her life.
- Dead Pigeon. Walking out of my condo backgate today, I noticed a dead pigeon on the park connector, its body twisted awkwardly in the hot sun. I felt a pang of sadness looking at the carcass. Realizing there was nothing I could do, I walked on. Later, I returned and moved it to the grass. I want to ensure it wouldn’t be stepped on or cycled over. The pigeon is considered a pest by many, but in death, a little dignity and respect should nonetheless be accorded to it. This experience is similar to another that occurred in 2005 and reminded me that life is delicate and fleeting. I’m grateful for this quiet, poignant reminder.
Today’s experiences remind me that life reveals itself in unexpected and simple moments. From the joy of revisiting familiar stories, to the warmth of memories that linger, to the quiet reminders of life’s fragility, each experience deepens my awareness and gratitude. I close this journal feeling present, thankful, and gently reminded of the preciousness of every living moment.

No comments:
Post a Comment