Wednesday, 18 March 2026

Grateful 18 Mar: Reconnections


Today was special - I had the chance to reconnect with a few people who, in different ways, matter to me. 
  • D and T. I met D and T this morning. It wasn’t planned. I had gone for a urine test and had to wait as I didn’t have sufficient urine for collection. While waiting, I chanced upon them. It was such a coincidence! We ended up having a quick breakfast at Geylang Serai. Being just three days before Hari Raya Aidil Fitri, the place - long the heart of all things Malay - was buzzing with activity, with many doing their festive grocery shopping. D, T and I used to meet more often, but with work preoccupations recently, our meet-ups has dwindled. In fact, I have not seen them since CNY. As such, being able to reconnect with them today felt really good and I am grateful for it. I am glad to see T managing well despite his health issue. 
  • L. I met L for lunch today. It’s been months since that awkward conversation some months back and I have chosen not to initiate contact, leaving it to him to decide instead. He needs to decide how our close-to-five-decades friendship will evolve in the years ahead. As for me, I do not wish to place myself in a position where I might feel judged. Life is too short for that. We’ve only met once following that meet up, and last week he asked if I was free for lunch today. So we met. The conversation was warm but at times, awkward. Nonetheless, I am grateful that he took the initiative to reconnect. The ball remains in his court. 
  • M. I miss my buddy. He last visited me a week ago and has been busy taking care of his mum. I didn’t want to impose, and had left it to him to initiate any meet-ups. Looking after an elderly is not easy and I can relate and empathise. Whenever I think about his situation, I am reminded of how I once told my ex that my priorities would always lie with my own mum - that I would place her above everything else. This morning, at the Geylang Serai market, I had intended to buy ondeh ondeh for breakfast, but the makcik (Malay auntie) sold me roti jala (see picture) instead. I didn’t correct her and simply paid for it, and decided to keep it for dinner. As it turned out, during my conversation with M, he mentioned that he enjoys roti jala. It felt like a small, timely alignment, and I took it as a cue to invite him over. I am glad and grateful that he made time to come by this evening. After some time apart, it felt good to reconnect again - simply, quietly, and without expectation. It was nice to finally spend time together. 
Today reminded me that reconnections do not always come in big, dramatic moments. Sometimes, they happen quietly - in chance encounters, in tentative conversations, or in small, unexpected turns, like how a simple packet of roti jala ended up finding its way into the right moment. And for all of that, I am grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Relationships can be complicated. Not always, but often. You are just giving some examples of what most people experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Rob. These are my personal experiences and I’m grateful for every single one of them. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete