Friday, 13 March 2026

Grateful Mar 13 (1): The Delivery Man

Tonight, I got a call from a Malaysian number about my regular medication delivery. At first, I thought, “Scam alert!” - but then I noticed a message from the same number asking if anyone was home. I picked up the call. The guy spoke in Malay, sounding a little flustered, asking where I was. He had been going round the area but couldn't find my place. Luckily for him (and me), I can speak enough Malay to understand and respond. I told him I’ll sent my Google location. 

That he spoke in Malay made me conclude he’s Muslim and I wondered - has he broken his fast? This is the fasting month and it was already about 8pm, way past Maghrib - the evening prayer and break fast time. As a non-Muslim, I don't have anything halal to offer. So I hurriedly prepared a can of Coke and two packets of biscuits for him. Soon enough, he arrived at my door. After handing over the medication, I asked if he had eaten, and he confirmed he had not - just some bread and a quick drink. He needed to finish his deliveries first, he said. I offered him the Coke and biscuits, and he gratefully accepted before heading off. He texted me after leaving: “Terima kasih bagi air dan biskut!” (Thank you for giving the drink and biscuits!) 

Poor guy! I could tell he was running purely on determination (and maybe a bit of stubbornness). It made me pause. I wasn’t thinking about my medication or the fact that a Malaysian was delivering it - I was thinking about him, working on an empty stomach during Ramadan. So here’s a heartfelt wish: Ramadan Kareem & Selamat Berpuasa! And a little reminder: sometimes the smallest acts - like offering food or a smile - can mean a lot.

I am a blessed person. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment