I read with horror a comment by a leader of a country on the passing of a senior statesman. It set me thinking about the leaders of my own country and, more broadly, the system we have built. I found myself feeling a deep sense of gratitude. I have seen first-hand how our political leaders have consistently been pressured by foreign powers and the international press, particularly from Western countries. Yet, they have held their ground and chosen to build what is relevant to our context. The result is a model of governance that is distinctly our own - one that, at its core, seeks to serve Singaporeans.
- Political leadership. I find myself reflecting on the sense of responsibility that comes with the role. It brings to mind what was instilled in me as an officer cadet in the 1980s - Duty, Honour, Country - a call to serve, and to do so with the nation at heart. It was relevant to me then as an officer cadet and, later, an officer, and I would suggest relevant to all leaders in the country. Leadership is not simply about holding office; it is about clarity of purpose - knowing what one stands for and whose interests one is entrusted to protect. When I look at developments in other parts of the world and especially in countries with much longer histories, I am reminded of how quickly systems can be weakened when leaders place self-interest above the collective good. In such moments, I come to appreciate the deliberate way leadership is developed in Singapore - the thought given to identifying, grooming, and renewing leaders over time. This continuity is not accidental; it reflects a long-term view that I have come to value more deeply with time.
- Institutions. Beyond the individuals, I have come to also better appreciate the role of institutions. When they are strong, institutions provide stability that goes beyond any single leader. They embody values, set boundaries, and ensure that governance remains consistent even as individuals change. Observing how institutions elsewhere can be challenged or eroded has made me more aware of how important it is to protect and uphold them. Here, I see institutions that are not only established, but continually reinforced - and that is something I do not take lightly, and for which I am grateful.
- Decorum of office. At the intersection of the individual and the institution lies the decorum of office. I am often struck by the tone and behaviour of some political leaders that I encounter online. It reinforces a belief I hold - that once a person is elected into office, they carry the responsibility of representing not just a segment of society (that voted for them), but the nation as a whole. In that sense, the office demands a certain standard of conduct, one that reflects respect for both the role and the people it serves. It requires office holders to place the office above themselves. In Singapore, there remains a general expectation of this standard, and I have come to see how important it is in maintaining trust. It is also, I believe, one of the reasons why political leaders here have been held accountable and removed when necessary, regardless of political affiliation. For this too, I am grateful.
As I reflect on these observations, I am reminded that what we have today did not come about by chance. It is the result of intentional effort, careful stewardship, and a shared commitment to something larger than any one individual. And that is why, when I look at what's happening in many countries abroad, I find myself returning to a simple but genuine sense of gratitude.
You're right - what was published after the passing of Robert Mueller was completely disgraceful. Sadly, it isn't really surprising from this pathetic person.
ReplyDelete