It’s a lovely day to be able to catch up with old colleagues and reminisce about those corporate life days. It’s been 3 years and much has changed. Names were mentioned, many of whom I do not know. And for those that I do know, some have been promoted and many have also left the company - either joining another organisation or taking a career break. I therefore want to give thanks for:
- My Ex-Team. Despite having left 3 years ago, we have remained in constant contact, catching up with one another over simple meals and sharing updates on the developments in our respective lives. We are more friends than just ex-colleagues now and I am thankful for that. In addition, they have also come to me individually whenever they need advice about work, career, life, professional development and so on. I am also thankful for the support they have all extended to me when I needed it.
- Simple Conversations. One of the topics we spoke about during our catch-up was movies, and the song “Tian Mi Mi” (甜蜜蜜) came up. It was such a coincidence as this was the theme song of the movie I watched yesterday: Comrades: Almost a Love Story (1996). It made for good banter and sharing since we were talking about all sorts of topics during our 2 - 3 hour catch-up, jumping from movies to work memories and back again. Moments like these also remind me how simple conversations can unexpectedly connect different experiences across time.
- Another Ex-Colleague. I met up with another ex-colleague after lunch. It was meant to be a quick meet-up to pass her some traditional pastries, but we ended up having a quick drink and catch-up instead. I meet up with her rather regularly, and she had volunteered as my coachee during the months leading up to my obtaining my coaching credentials 2 years ago. It was nice to catch up again, and I am thankful to her for her time.
Looking back, what stands out most from these catch-ups is the camaraderie we nurtured during our time in the office. The many good and bad moments we went through together continue to bind us long after we left the company. And I am especially grateful that although I was their HOD back then, they are still able to connect with me without too much difficulty. This reinforces my belief that friendship can be forged after we leave our company. For that, I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment