Saturday, 28 March 2026

Grateful 28 Mar: Social work

Today has been an exhausting day of social work, yet I feel deeply grateful to have been part of it. There is something incredibly heartening about witnessing young people show such enthusiasm and commitment. So for today, these are the 3 moments I am most grateful for. 

  • Breakfast. I woke up at 6am so I can meet K for breakfast before the event. It had been some time since we last caught up over a meal. I arrived earlier and noticed an exceptionally long queue at the coffee stall. Wanting to save time, I joined the queue, only to realise - just as I was about to order - that the stall accepted cash only. I had none on me. Oh my... in this day and age, it's amazing how there are still stalls that do not accept digital payment, I thought. Not wanting to queue all over again, I told the stall owner I would return with cash. Thankfully, K arrived shortly after with cash and I was able to make the payment. Otherwise, it would have been rather embarrassing to cancel the order at the last minute. 
  • Volunteering. I spent the day volunteering at a project in Toa Payoh, where we cleaned and painted the homes of elderly residents. The effort also involved junior college students, and in total, five apartments were assigned for the day. 3 students, K, and I were allocated to an elderly lady’s home - though, truth be told, I thought she looked younger than me. She needed help to clean her fridge, do general cleaning of the flat, paint the walls, main door, gate and grills. It was really tough work. But what stood out most was the enthusiasm of the students. It was truly uplifting to see their energy and enthusiasm. More than that, it was deeply heartwarming to witness the smiles on the ladys’ face after her home had been cleaned and refreshed. 
  • Food delivery. By the time I got home, I was completely drained. In fact, I could hardly stand while I was in the MRT! After a cold shower, I literally collapsed into bed, having been awake since 6am and running on little rest. The day had been physically demanding - washing, scrubbing, clearing rubbish - and I barely had the energy to move. Although I am not usually a fan of food delivery due to the higher costs and additional "platform" fees, I found myself genuinely thankful for it in that moment. I placed an order for dinner and drifted into a deep nap. It did not matter that the food took almost an hour and a half to arrive; what mattered was the convenience when I needed it most. 

It was a long and incredibly exhausting day, but also a deeply meaningful one. Ultimately, it is not just the satisfaction of helping others and seeing their smiles, but also the inspiration I drew from the teenagers. Their enthusiasm, sense of responsibility, and cheerfulness throughout the day left a strong impression on me. I am truly grateful that I chose to be part of this experience.

2 comments:

  1. It's great that you are volunteering in the community. You must get a deep sense of satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smiles on the face, the sense of contribution and achievement - priceless!

      Delete