Tuesday, 10 February 2026

CNY - Weight watchers’ nightmare

It’s CNY again - the season of food, reunion dinners, and one “special” meal after another. 

Last night’s dinner with my army mates was one of those dinners. Psychologically satisfying, but physically punishing. I ate and drank far too much and came home bloated, light-headed, and very uncomfortable. Still, I managed to calm myself down - journal, wash up, and just sit quietly - before retiring. Thankfully, I slept relatively well. But this morning, the scale jumped by 1.5kg. I know it’s not real weight, just water, salt, and a body trying to rebalance. It will pass within the next few days.

Such feasting will repeat through the next 2 weeks plus. And the thing about CNY meals is that it has its own rules. Aunties will push food to you. These are specially cooked “for you”, she will say. And it will be rude to say no, even ungrateful, considering how you have been specially invited to her family reunion. And it’s not just one meal. There will be a couple more. In such instances, respect, courtesy and relationships must take priority over discipline.

Then again, it’s CNY! It’s about family and relationships and food is just how we celebrate it. I guess staying mindful is the best I can do.

2 comments:

  1. It's a once a year celebration with family and friends -- a time to be cherished. Well worth gaining 1, 2 or 3 kg that you can reduce in the weeks following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of cos! Of cos! Looking forward to meet my extended family! Since my parents’ passing, my aunts and cousins have made it a point to invite me to join in their dinners. Totally grateful for that!

      Delete