Today, I want to give thanks to food and all the ways it nourishes me. Over CNY, with all the invites and celebrations, I haven’t really been able to stick to my usual diet, so my weight and macronutrients have been all over the place. Even so, I feel grateful for the abundance - and thoughtfulness - that’s surrounded me over the past two weeks. This sense of care and plenty feels like a positive start to the Fire Horse year.
- Abundant and Thoughtful Meals. I’m grateful for the abundance of food and the care my family puts into it. Even with many coffee shops and food outlets closed during the first two days of CNY, I’ve never been short of a meal. My sister, aunt, and cousin have all packed food for me, so there’s always something ready to eat. Sometimes I even find myself wondering what I should choose - a nice problem to have! I make sure not to waste anything, spreading meals over several sittings and using proteins from my fridge to boost them. This stretches the food over more days and keeps my meals balanced, which I really appreciate.
- Foods that Help Me Stay Balanced. I’m thankful for the foods that help my body stay balanced despite indulgence. Today, I had 2 bananas and a can of coconut water - both rich in potassium - which help counter the high sodium in CNY dishes. These foods support recovery, prevent cramps, and help me feel better after exercise or indulgent meals. Even amidst rich, salty foods, having these small additions makes me feel nourished and looked after. It’s a simple reminder that food can both delight and support wellbeing.
- Thoughtful Preparation. I’m grateful for the steps I’ve taken to prepare for myself. My fridge is stocked with protein sources - eggs, meat, prawns, chicken, tau kwa - which I can rely on to keep my meals balanced and to maintain my muscle mass. Tonight’s dinner really shows this in action: the sardines and bitter gourd stir-fry with chicken and black beans were brought over by my sister, and I added an egg from my fridge to boost the protein. It’s a simple combination, but it reminds me how I can enjoy festive foods while keeping my meals protein-strong. Knowing I have these options on hand gives me reassurance that, even during indulgent periods, I can take care of myself and stay on track. This mix of family care and personal preparation makes every meal feel nourishing and meaningful.
I am grateful to have access to such thoughtful, nourishing food every day. Even when my weight or macros swing, each meal - from family-prepared dishes to simple additions like bananas or coconut water - reminds me of the care, sustenance, and joy that food brings. I’m grateful for every bite and the role it plays in keeping me nourished, balanced, and well.
We forget that many people go hungry everyday. Good to be thankful for our food.
ReplyDeleteIndeed Rob! This went through my mind as I wrote this entry.
Delete