Today is Valentine’s Day. And as it’s just a couple of days before CNY, celebrations aren’t very obvious from what I’ve seen. Still, it’s a day to celebrate love - and more broadly, friendships. And here’s my grateful list today:
- Valentine’s Day. I’m thankful there’s a day to celebrate love. When I was younger, Valentine’s Day was mostly about lovers. And if you got invited to dinner, it would basically be a “do you want to be my special half?” moment. It’s nice to see it becoming more inclusive now - friends can celebrate too. Having said that, VD dinners are totally overpriced, mass-produced, and honestly not worth it. Agree?
- Friends. I am thankful for friends, past and present. As a gay person, friends are probably the closest thing next to family. They may come and go, but for as long as they are around, they provide us with the support we need. Today, I received a couple of Happy Valentines messages from friends. While it is not expected, it still warms my heart to know and there are friends who make a point to send VD wishes. And last night, my buddy came over and brought chocolates too. So sweet right?
- Exes. It’s highly unintuitive to hear of one to give thanks to exes but I thought it’s important to give thanks when it’s due. For all the good and bad, my 3 exes that were with me through my last 3 decades made me what I am today. They showed me I am fully capable to love and my desire to be loved. I’ve been single since April 2024. It’s been an interesting 2 years and I’ve learned further about myself. By giving thanks for my exes, it simply reflect a simple truth - that I’m comfortable and confident with what I am now: a single person enjoying my present moments and keeping my options open.
And it just struck me that we only have 2 more days to go before CNY! Omg! I better not forget to get some important CNY stuff tomorrow - mandarin oranges, leek, nian gao, etc! I wish everyone a Happy Valentine’s Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment