Sunday, 1 February 2026

Grateful - 1 Feb: Engaging & Fun

I’m feeling a little tired now, but before I retire, I want to capture three things I’m grateful for today. 
  • I am grateful to the facilitator and my classmates at the Singapore Buddhist Federation (SBF) for today’s class a highly engaging one. Many concepts and points were covered but the real learnings came from everybody’s sharing of their experiences. For eg, we discussed the importance of cultivating ourselves so that we are conscious of our emotions and able to recognize them as they arise. This awareness allows us to manage our emotions instead of being controlled by them. We all agreed that this is easier said than done, and that it requires consistent training of the mind.
  • I am grateful for the interesting experiences and sights around the Geylang area. I went to SBF for class and decided to alight at PLQ Mall, taking a short walk to SBF instead. The walk started at Paya Lebar MRT and ended in the heart of Geylang. Paya Lebar is a Malay heartland, and I saw a large congregation of Indonesian domestic workers picnicking by the roadside under the shade of trees. It was a once-a-week affair, as today was their day off. As I moved into Geylang proper, the scene changed to lorongs and shophouses, coffee shops, and a couple of mosques. Along with this, the profile of people I saw also changed. Instead of mostly Indonesians, I saw a more heterogeneous mix of people - South Asian migrant workers, local Chinese, PRCs, as well as Malays at the mosques. Such contrasting scenes are very unique and can only happen in Singapore and Malaysia.
  • Lastly, I am grateful for the warm yet breezy weather. Without it, none of the above would have happened. It was also because of the pleasant weather that I was able to walk back to PLQ from SBF, and in the process, get a nice workout. Reflecting on it, I was literally killing many birds with one stone - I enjoyed interesting sights, got a good walk and workout, and even discovered a nice park connector linking Paya Lebar MRT to Aljunied MRT. 
All in all, I had a good day today. It was engaging and fun. 

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment