Friday, 13 February 2026

Grateful - 13 Feb: Body


I’m not sure if this is a Singapore senior citizen thing or a universal one - people sending “Good Morning” messages and pictures to every contact in their phone. I’m in several chat groups and wake up to a flood of them daily. Most mornings, I delete them without even looking. But today, when my buddy sent me the above, I paused and appreciated it. So in today’s gratitude journal, I’m giving thanks to things that happen so naturally, until they don’t.
  • Breathing. No explanation seems necessary. It is so automatic that we rarely notice it - until it becomes difficult. In 2017/ 2018, I found myself gasping for air frequently. My lungs always felt half full and I couldn’t take a deep breath. I felt like a fish out of water. Once, while holidaying in Japan, I blacked out. That eventually led to the discovery of a blocked artery. I underwent an angioplasty and had a stent inserted. Since then, breathing has returned to being what it should be - effortless. For that, I am deeply thankful.
  • Drinking. We also take for granted the simple act of swallowing - of fluids aka drinking; of solids aka eating. Let me focus on drinking here. Drinking and ensuring fluids do not “go down the wrong hole” is something most of us never think about. My mum struggled with this in her final years. When she choked, it was scary - violent coughing that sometimes led to bronchitis. I would remind her gently to tuck her chin down before swallowing. Either I or my domestic helper had to supervise her whenever she drank, water or soup. It was exhausting for her, and sobering for me to witness.
  • Eating. Here, I will reflect on swallowing of solids: Eating. Eating sustains us and often, brings us joy. Yet recently, I was reminded how fragile that ability can be. My friend with oesophageal cancer can no longer swallow properly. When we met two days ago, he could only sip small amounts of soup while watching D and I eat. It was a quiet, humbling moment.
So today, I give thanks for my ability to breathe, drink, and eat - simple acts that nourishes the body. Caring for my mum taught me that, in the end, much of life comes down to these basics. Breathing. Drinking. Eating. And also, excreting: sweating, peeing, shitting. Strip everything away, and it really is that simple. For being able to do these ordinary things smoothly today, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment