A uni classmate visited me and it’s probably the main highlight of my gratitude journal today. But there are two other things I would also like to acknowledge. Here goes:
- LK. I am grateful for her and for the friendship we share. We have known each other since our uni days and have journeyed through many ups and downs over the past 3 to 4 decades. She was one of the first people I came out to in the mid-90s. She is now navigating the final phase of her corporate life, and we have had many conversations about this transition. Two weeks ago, she called to ask if she could visit today. She arrived with dinner, and we spent the evening catching up - talking about work, life, and all. It was simple, unhurried, and deeply comforting.
- Reflections. It may sound strange to say I am grateful for my own reflections, but taking deliberate time to think has helped me uncover blind spots, learn about myself, and see situations more objectively. Through journaling - especially writing about what I am grateful for - I have become aware of how much I'd focus on the negatives. This practice made me reframed and shifted my attention to what truly matters. It grounds me in gratitude and reminds me to be more compassionate towards myself.
- Self-identity. How often do we take our heritage for granted? For most of my life, mine simply was - unquestioned and unexamined. But as I grow older, I find myself paying more attention to my roots. Today, as I blogged about "CNY and I", I saw more clearly the uniqueness of my heritage and how much I had taken it for granted. Blogging, once again, helped me understand myself better - and in this case, reaffirm my identity as a Singaporean Chinese. I am grateful for that reminder.
It was a simple day, but a rich and reflective one.
No comments:
Post a Comment