We were blessed with plenty of “good luck” from the heavens today - yes, it rained heavily for most of the day. Despite the rain, I was able to go about my daily walks and afternoon breaks, without needing to bring my umbrella, and still stay relatively dry. I, therefore, give thanks for the following:
- Rain. I am grateful for the rain - not just because it symbolises good luck - but also because it cools everything down. It has rained quite a lot over the past few days, and with it, the temperature has dropped from 30s to low-20s. It feels really pleasant and such a contrast to the hot, scorching weather we experienced through most of Jan and early-Feb. And as I enjoy rain, I was all tempted to head out for a walk in it but decided against it in the end as I want to minimize the chance of falling sick.
- Sheltered Walkways & Underpasses. Despite the heavy rain, I was able to walk almost 8 km without getting wet, thanks to public sheltered walkways and underpasses. Of course, there were small stretches - perhaps 10 metres or so, such as when crossing minor roads - that I still had to manage, but these were minor inconveniences. I believe Singapore is one of the few, if not the only, city state in the world with such extensive public sheltered walkways, so much so that they have almost eliminated the need for umbrellas, and for this, I am thankful.
- Last Stretch Umbrellas. The public sheltered walkways link directly to my condominium rear gate. To reach my block, there is a final 80m of unsheltered path. For residents’ convenience, the condo management has installed umbrellas from the gate to the various blocks. Such a seamless arrangement is deeply appreciated by residents, judging by how well utilised the umbrellas are. I thank the condo management for this arrangement.
For all of the above, I am grateful. In the past, whenever it rained, many of us would simply stay home to avoid the hassle of carrying umbrellas or getting wet. But with these thoughtful provisions, I am no longer confined indoors. Life carries on as normal, rain or shine.



No comments:
Post a Comment