Friday, 20 February 2026

Grateful 20 Feb: City in a Garden

I have gained back all the weight I lost over the last 5 months over the past 2 weeks - an outcome of all the feasting and fat-rich CNY food! So I decided to head out again for my walk along my usual route - from the housing estate into the Changi Business Park (CBP). Along the way, I saw several interesting sights - wild animals - and it reminded me how lucky I am to live so close to nature, even though I am in an urbanised environment. So today, I give thanks for these reminders:

  • Nature. I live next to CBP where a large part is a solar farm and lined with lush greenery. It is also located next to a golf course. With such abundance of greenery, gay men have made it a cruising haunt since the early 2000s. But that’s not why I am writing this post. Rather, the place has attracted many animals. Animals commonly found here include various bird species including the sunbird, spotted dove, pink pigeon, bulbul, drongo, Asian koel, black nape oriole, kingfisher and kite, reptiles such as the monitor lizard, calotes, tortoise, various species of snakes, etc. As a nature lover, I am truly thankful to have this park so near me. 
  • Asian Openbill. I saw this eye-catching bird while walking along the fringe of the golf course. I was surprised to see it as it is not a familiar sight locally. I was to learn that it is not endemic to Singapore but a migratory bird that is seen only during the northern winter period. And it was the first time I see an Asian Openbill and at such close range. It moved a few steps away when it saw me approaching. I froze and it stopped moving, but it remained wary of my presence. I snapped a couple of photos and videos before walking on and leaving it in peace. I am grateful to have been able to see this migratory bird up close.
  • Wild Chickens. I was pleasantly surprised to see a family of 7 - 8 wild chickens at CBP. A few months back, there was only one! It has certainly multiplied quickly, probably due to the lack of natural predators, and I certainly welcome the sight. It certainly make the place a lot livelier and interesting. Wild chickens, while common decades ago, had almost disappeared for unknown reasons but reappeared during the COVID lockdown period. Since then, they have spread across the island, and we now see them in many places!
I am thankful for the chance to connect with nature even while walking through an industrial/ business park. It was such a pleasant experience. Years ago, we began with the “Clean and Green” Singapore campaign to soften the hard buildings that were being constructed at a rapid rate. This evolved into the “Garden City” vision, where flowering plants were introduced, and in recent years, the vision has been refreshed to “City in a Garden”. As a nature lover, I am blessed to be living in this city-state.

2 comments:

  1. So many things to be thankful for. You are noticing all these things, and it gives you something to be grateful for everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Rob! We are blessed with so many things, yet often times we take them for granted.

      Delete