I had my first fish eye today.
Was it good? Hmmm… the texture was gelatinous and gooey! Since young, my mum would gush about how nice fish eyes taste. I, on the other hand, could never get past gorging the eye out of the head, much less putting it into my mouth! It felt like a scene direct out of an Indiana Jones movie! So no… until today.
I took a bus out with no agenda except that I wanted to take a break from my usual afternoon walk. I decided to alight at a nearby neighbourhood center. I had eaten at a Japanese restaurant there before and thought why not have a quick lunch there. After all, the food was decent and nice.
I decided to be adventurous and ordered the salmon head soup. The soup came and I was given another empty bowl. This is for the bones, said the auntie. Wow! so drama! I thought to myself. When I started eating, I realized how laborious the whole process was - all the bones and scales! And then the eye floated into view… the eye ball, lens and all!
Anyway, it was an interesting experience. Will I have it again? Probably not, unless pushed. But at least I can say I’ve tried it.
Ps: Picture shows what’s left of the head after stripping off all the skin and meat. Can you spot the eye socket?

I think I'll pass.
ReplyDelete😅👍🏻
Delete