Wednesday, 28 January 2026

Grateful - 28 Jan: Giving & Getting Help

Today, I want to focus on people. I gave an elderly friend a haircut, received Chinese New Year goodies from another, and, as always, was reminded of the many friends and family who consistently support and encourage me. Here are the details:
  • It is gratifying to have the ability to help others. Today, it was my ability to cut people’s hair. I’m not formally trained, but I’ve observed hairdressers closely, and over time, I’ve been able to give simple haircuts to my mom, dad, brother, nieces and nephews, ex, and lately, friends - or anyone willing to let me try. Today, I gave an elderly friend a haircut. Last year after cutting his hair, he said it’s a tad too short, but two days later, he texted again to say how nice it looks. And similarly, he said it’s too short again this year, despite checking with him on the length constantly. Haha… Regardless, I’m glad I could bring a smile to him, and I truly appreciate his curry chicken for me.
  • I am grateful to my friend (the one who has esophageal cancer) for stopping by with a bagful of Chinese New Year cookies and a box of bak kwa (sweetened pork jerky). As I was away, he left it outside my door. I imagine this is his way of showing appreciation for my visits to him at the hospital, and for the friendship we’ve shared over the short months I’ve known him. Whatever the reason, I’m glad I could bring him some cheer, and I have enjoyed our moments together.
  • Lastly, I am grateful to friends and family who consistently support and encourage me. I’m reminded of them daily through the food I enjoy. And today, I had home-cooked chicken curry (thanks to J, point 1 above), stewed chicken with mushrooms and bananas (thanks to my sister), kefir (from a dear friend who made a difference in my life last year), and, of course, Chinese New Year goodies (thanks to T, point 2 above).
Even though I may be living on my own, my life feels enriched not just by experiences, but also by the people around me. People may come and go, but recognizing this transient nature of relationships allows me to move past previous misgivings, appreciate the present, and avoid placing too many expectations from them for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment