I have been volunteering as a mentor with a company that partners a local vocational training college since last year. The focus of the mentorship is to guide students through their career journey - from job search to workplace assimilation.
To be honest, my experience with the organisation last year was not very positive. The team came across as young and inexperienced, rather disorganised, and with an “everything also can” approach to everything. It was not something I was accustomed to, and I felt strongly that if they were serious about their mission, there needed to be clearer policies and processes in place. By the end of last year, I was almost certain I would not sign up for another run.
When I was invited to their kick-off today, I hesitated. But eventually, I decided to drop in, simply to see what they had put together. I was pleasantly surprised by how much had changed since my last interaction with them. Their staff strength has doubled, the pool of volunteers has grown to about 2,000, and their operations are now far more organised. They have also been registered as a formal charity, and this year they plan to strengthen their governance and compliance, alongside the many new initiatives they have rolled out.
It was a well organised kick-off and from what was briefed, a strong signal that they are heading in the right direction. I left the event feeling genuinely proud of, and impressed by, the team. It was a good refreshing change.
No comments:
Post a Comment