It’s been just over a week since I started this Gratitude Journaling series, and I’ll be honest - it’s getting harder to write. Not because I have nothing to be grateful for, but because I now see just how much there is. Every time I sit down to write, I realise that behind each small thing I’m thankful for, there’s a whole chain of conditions that must come together for that moment to exist. It’s humbling. Gratitude, I’m learning, isn’t just about listing what went well - it’s about recognising how much is quietly holding everything in place.
Today, here are the 3 call outs:
- I’m grateful for something very simple: the ability to journal. That alone tells me I’m privileged. And I don’t mean that in a proud way, but in a deeply humbling one.
- I’m also grateful for where I am in my spiritual practice. I chose a path that asks me to reflect, to question, to seek wisdom, and to practise compassion. Sometimes, I won’t lie, it feels a little lonely. Many of my friends find comfort in speaking to a higher being and in the promise of something beyond this life. I don’t have that. But what I do have is a growing sense of clarity - from meditation, from reading, from constant inner work - that my life is shaped by my past actions and choices. That realisation gives me both responsibility and hope. It tells me I can still shape what comes next.
- And finally, I’m grateful for the life I have today - materially and otherwise. I’ve met people who wish they could undo their past and start again. I don’t feel that way. I’m at peace with where I am, because every good choice, every mistake, every detour has played a part in making me who I am now. And for that, I’m thankful.
So yes, today’s reflection feels more conceptual than usual - but it’s exactly where my mind and heart are right now - calm.
This is a great exercise. We lose track of the things we should be thankful for, so it's good to be cognizant of them.
ReplyDeleteIndeed Rob. And it gets harder with passing days. Through these constant reflections, I also find myself increasingly capturing the mundane things that I did/ experience each day!
Delete