Monday, 19 January 2026

Friend with Cancer (1)

In my life, I’ve had people around me diagnosed with cancer, and most have since passed on. I also know others who were diagnosed with cancer and have continued to live their lives well because of medical treatment. But that is not the case for a friend I got to know just half a year ago. 

He is four years my senior, and during a routine medical check-up, the doctor discovered a lump on his neck. He was sent for scans and a biopsy and was eventually diagnosed with stage-four oesophageal cancer. It came as a shock to him, as he had no prior illness or symptoms whatsoever. The initial prognosis was 6 months to a year, and he was quickly put on chemotherapy. His condition did not improve, and within a month, the prognosis was revised to six months. That was two months ago.

Since then, his condition has worsened rapidly. In Nov, I was still meeting him for lunches, and he could eat quite well. When I met him at Christmas, he could only manage porridge. Over the last weekend, he was admitted to hospital as he could no longer swallow food or even liquids. I visited him earlier today, and he now has to be tube-fed.

The days and months ahead will not be easy for him, given how fast the tumour is growing. The hospital has indicated that there is little more they can do at this point, except to put him through more aggressive chemotherapy, in the hope that the tumour might shrink enough for him to swallow again. Despite this, he remains cheerful and still says he looks forward to being able to eat again. I am not optimistic, but I could only smile and nod.

Sighs.

2 comments:

  1. When my mum was no longer able to eat and having difficulty to swallow, that was the sign when we knew her days were numbered. We were all mentally prepared for her departure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Zach.

      It’s an inevitable journey and truth that we all acknowledge and accept but won’t want to explicitly say it out.

      We can only ensure and wish him comfort and that he receives the best possible care during this period.

      Delete