Sunday, 21 December 2025

Food distribution

I signed up as a volunteer to distribute food to the needy yesterday. It was done as part of the Christmas festivities to distribute some chocolates, cakes, and sweets to residents. It was indeed an eye-opening experience for me, seeing with my very own eyes people from the lower rungs of the society who live in rental flats and who needed that extra help with their daily life. 

It was very nice that the mayor herself turned up to thank us. She also introduced her teams from the family assistance organisations, community centre, resident committees, etc to us. I was surprised and gratified to know of the many activities and initiatives these set-ups organise regularly for these residents. Admittedly, I do quietly wonder if some of these residents end up becoming over-reliant on these aids.

I think too much.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, seriously? There are lower rungs of society in Singapore? I thought everyone was rich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😅 we all wish for that too! Anyway, we do have a small % of the population that needs additional support… housing, daily needs, etc. So yeah… you don’t see them but they are there…

      Delete