I’ve always enjoyed traditional pastries, especially those Teochew ones. Then again, I’ve always like sweet stuff. Ok, back to Teochew pastries… Years ago, we can find them at every housing estates but these days, the shops have dwindled to just a few. It is unsurprising, given the popularity of more varied and trendy international fares these days.
And so, whenever I visit Chinatown, I will make it a point to buy the tau sar piah (mung bean pastry) from Poh Guan. Their mung bean filling is fragrant, moist and not too sweet. And when I feel indulgent, I will also get the la piah - a larger version of the tau sar piah and traditionally given as gifts during happy occasions, eg weddings, in the old days.
Let’s hope this stall continue to operate for a long time to come! It will be so sad if this stall stop operations, just like how many had disappeared over the years.
Ps: I bought 4 pieces of la piah today and look at their beautiful box! So retro too!

No comments:
Post a Comment