Wednesday, 17 December 2025

59

I turn 59 today. 

It feels kind of weird even saying that, because I’ve been telling people I’m 59 since the start of the year. In fact, there have been many times when I’ve simply said I’m 60. Some people consider an age ending with “9” inauspicious as it symbolises an ending. They prefer to round it up to the next decade to represent an auspicious beginning. So technically, using the rounding up method, I was already 60 last year by Chinese calendar age, and 60 this year by Gregorian calendar age. Thus, I’ll turn 60 next year with the “Hey, I’ve already been 60 for two years” frame of mind!  

And in a (gay) community that celebrates youth and looks above almost everything else, it can be quite amusing. When I tell people I’m 60, the usual response - after seeing my face pic is, “Wow, you don’t look your age at all! You look so young!” In contrast, when I say I’m in my 50s, I sometimes get an immediate block - presumably a “WTF, you look so old and fugly” judgement. Everything is relative, right? And tbh, I’ve largely gone beyond feeling upset when I get blocked. Everyone has their preferences. I get that. 

Anyway, today will be a very simple affair. My sister is treating me to dinner tonight. A few friends are celebrating my birthday in their own little (but very much appreciated) ways - dropping by with a cake, sending me a couple of cake slices, buying me lunch, and the likes. I’ve also been receiving birthday wishes from quite a few friends, including some unexpected ones, and I’m truly appreciative of their kindness and thoughtfulness. 

So… happy 60th birthday to me! 

;-)

4 comments:

  1. It is a blessing these days to be able to live til your age. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zach! Being able to see the sunrise everyday is a blessings!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! Wishing you a great day and upcoming year!

    ReplyDelete