Sometimes one has to be cruel to be kind.
I’m at the point where I probably need to give someone the cold-turkey treatment. I got to know him couple of months ago and he has a big crush on me. Since the start, I’ve put it very clearly and explicitly to him that I’m not interested in any relationship. After an initial emotional swing on his part, things seemed to settle for a while.
I assumed he had accepted it and continued the friendship, often supporting him as he navigated life. But his actions, time and again, suggest he’s still not over me. Often, our conversations would end up very tense and difficult. He’d nitpick things I’ve said, takes them out of context, and makes accusations. It’s superbly exhausting. And now he’s edging into emotional blackmail.
I think I’ll have to cut contact for some time, much as I dislike doing so. But at this point, it feels like the only way for him to regain his footing - and, more importantly, for me to have some peace.
Sigh…
post-note: after reflecting, perhaps a better way to phrase the title would be "Being compassionate for longer term good". It better reflects the good intentions behind the action.
No comments:
Post a Comment