by day 3, the requirement to set up the place in the mornings and evenings had become routine.
people continued to stream to the wake from before lunch and lasted till 11-plus pm. and i was kept busy most of the time as most of the guests were my friends and colleagues. james (my ex) dropped by mid-day and together with sapphie, and my nephew we took a short walk around the area towards the temple located next to the funeral parlour. it was the first time i actually spoke with him at length since we parted some 11 years ago. the conversation was cordial and warm. we spoke about his parents, his family, his sister, his nieces, etc and i asked about his partner (of 8 years). i was glad things were well between them. they now co-own and live in a place located in town. it was a short (half hour?) walk, but it was a long overdue one.
i was rather touched by the fact that a friend from shanghai asked his brother (who's living in singapore) to pay a visit to the wake and to pass me some donations (pek kim). it was really thoughtful of him. similarly, i was a little surprised when the parents of my best friend (bs, who's now residing in the states) dropped by. as there were too many people, i couldn't spend enough time talking to each of the visitor and had to move from table to table. frankly, i felt a little bad about it. but i was sure everyone understood.
i was rather touched by the fact that a friend from shanghai asked his brother (who's living in singapore) to pay a visit to the wake and to pass me some donations (pek kim). it was really thoughtful of him. similarly, i was a little surprised when the parents of my best friend (bs, who's now residing in the states) dropped by. as there were too many people, i couldn't spend enough time talking to each of the visitor and had to move from table to table. frankly, i felt a little bad about it. but i was sure everyone understood.
well, talking about people visiting the wake, i do want to add here that we did not inform any of our relatives about mum's passing. i decided not to tell anyone about it in the interest of family harmony. i was acutely aware of the less-than-positive dynamics between different members of my family and the larger extended family (eg that my brother was not happy with many of my relatives) and i didn't want to create any opportunity for anyone to get angry or to make a din during the wake. it would be disastrous to have strained family ties after the wake/ funeral. and this, i felt, was in line with what mum wanted as she maintained that family harmony must come first. it was precisely because of this that i refused to give in to my second sis's request to inform one particular cousin. i was unhappy that she brought this up, knowing jolly well of the family dynamics, but i held my position. she was pretty unhappy with me for that and argued that this particular cousin had frequently visited mum and we should think about him. while i understood where she was coming from, i placed family harmony on a higher priority. i maintained my stand. you can have your say, but i will make the final decision. and my decision is based on mum's wishes. i have spend enough time with mum to know her wishes and i will decide. if there are any consequences, i'll answer for it. period.
the third day ended close to midnight for me... i was exhausted by the end of the day. my brother and his family decided to stay overnight at the funeral parlour for that night (and the next). similarly, my maid chose to stay over too given that she couldn't sleep at home as she would be reminded of mum throughout the night.
and so, that night was the first night in many years where i was alone at home.
it felt weird. but i reminded myself that i have to get use to it.
Hi Jeff,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing yr thoughts openly. By reading this blog, it has brought my many memories of my late father demise in 1995.
And a 19 yr old then to arrange for funeral and proceedings.
Similar to yr situation, I did not contact any relatives as what my late father wish for. No dramas on his death bed at sgh w65.
Unfortunately my younger brother could not understand, just like yr sis.
The only one who supported me were my close secondary sch mates, family friend and god parents and family. They were very dear to me till now.
I look back 25 yrs ago. I have no regrets in managing the funeral, like you.
I stand by you as I feel you.
I cried whenever I pass by certain places till now. I slipped to depression when I was in final yr. I went to usa for a trip (I was a bonded student) alone. And cried on the flight to usa.
No one in sch knows except my lecturer as i took leave for my clinical attachment.
Like you, I often think back of my supportive friends then (some has lost touch).
I have accompanied him to bkk 2 mths before he passed on. He was severely jaundiced as he had CA liver. But he never inform us till the very last.
He wanted me to accompany him to do prayers and to meet his teochew friends in march 1995. He also wanted to take a pic with them. He asked me to reprint a copy to sent to bkk then.
I was caught off guarded as I'm rather native then. Till now, I kept a copy of his ic and the bkk air ticket.
Till now, its painful for me to go bkk cos I still think of them often.
Iqqq associate sandy lam "Qing ren" - original song sang by beyond with him.
Teared whenever I listened to this song.
Thank you once again for sharing.
kg
Thanks for sharing kg. Must have been tough on you back then. But I always believe such moments build us up and gives us new perspectives. And in many ways, make us mature in our thoughts. We keep the memories in our hearts with time.
ReplyDeleteJeffrey