Tuesday, 28 April 2020

Grieving the loss of normalcy

I read someone's sharing this morning that we are all grieving. Grieving over the loss of normalcy and having been forced to embrace a new lifestyle we are probably not totally prepared for.

I like this idea and I agree with the author of that post. I am a trained grief counselor and it didn't strike me that indeed we are all going through different stages of grief. Just look at the many LinkedIn posts sharing about difficulties in adapting, challenges, stress, etc especially 2-3 weeks ago. The sharing that we are all going through different stages of grief helped me connect the dots.

In grief counselling, we acknowledge that people grief differently. Some take a longer time to grief compared to others. It is in this context that I understand why many still show signs of anger or denial when it comes to WFH and embracing a new normal. Even until now. Thus, I appreciate the latest move by the authorities that counseling are categorized as essential services.

With time, we will come to terms and accept this new norm. Some will take days, some weeks, and some longer. This process is no different from how we grief when someone dear passed on. Agree? It is a time to empathize, to support and to be there to listen.

Be safe and be well.

2 comments:

  1. Singapore has highest level of new cases in Asia? I understand infection rate is increasing because of the foreign workers who are packed into tight dormitories. This must be very difficult in your small, dense city.

    ReplyDelete


  2. Indeed the number of cases is high and a majority comes from foreign workers living in dormitories due to the high density living. The government has since reduced the density by spreading out the foreign workers into temporary lodgings across the island. We are expecting it to increase further as we expand the capacity to test more foreign workers, people working in essential services as well as those identified with higher risk of exposure but do not show any symptoms (including old age homes, nursing homes, health workers, etc). Local community spread numbers have decreased since we started our partial lockdown measures and now average about 15-20 daily. We are hoping to bring the numbers to single digit by late-May.

    Hope you are keeping safe too.


    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete