Sunday, 24 March 2019

My Funeral (updated 2019)

Ever since my heart procedure, I have been very much more conscious about my own mortality. I make it a point to whatsapp people who matter to me - just to say "Hi" and to thank them for anything that I feel deserves my appreciation. And the possibility of not being able to wake up when I fall asleep, or to suddenly get a heart attack, etc become very real. And it is with this thought that I am, once again, updating how I want my funeral to be done. It's not morbid to me, it is a responsible thing to do. The last time I did this was in 2011.

And reading that post, I must say that much of what I wrote back then still applies. Here're the salient points - in its most simple form, i should just be cremated once i passed on. No frills. But I know this is not acceptable to people who want to mourn and have their closures. And if that is the case, it is my wish that my funeral should follow basic Buddhist rites - a basic coffin, 3- (or 5-) day wake, cremation followed by sea burial. I come with nothing and go with nothing. The only thing I should leave behind are memories of me, hopefully good ones.

Afternote: I forgot and have missed this important point - I do not want to be on life support if it my life ever come to that stage where I am no longer able to make any decisions. If it’s time to go, let me go.

6 comments:

  1. don't stress yourself with something that you can't control, and no, there's nothing wrong in thinking about death, besides, Buddhism's core beliefs do touch on impermanence and non attachment, so,the thing is, i think you're concentrating too much on that issue that you're forgetting to "live" your life to the fullest, so relax, just let it be, whatever that's going to happen would eventually happen, don't stress too much about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Arvind. No stress at all. This is a responsible thing to do.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sign up for an AMD. Can be done in polyclinic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alternatively, you may wish to do PPC (preferred plan of care).

    It included preferred place of death too.

    It will be uploaded in the national heath care records.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah ok ok. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete