i was in my office at about 5pm when i heard a loud thunder clapping outside. i looked out of the window and it seemed a little darker than usual. i turned on my weather app on my iphone and saw huge purple patches covering the whole northern areas of singapore. that was no good. purple patches meant precipitation at its densest. i have never seen such patches before.
from the time lapse picture, it seemed like the clouds were moving from the north downwards towards the east, where i work. i decided to stop work and head for home. certainly, i didn't want to get caught in the rain as i walked back. i was shocked to see the blackness of the sky once i walked out of my office building. i had never ever in my life seen anything so scary.
now, despite the dark clouds, there was no wind! it felt really surreal. but at that moment, my only thought was to get home fast. and dry. my pace quickened as i did a mental projection of how the clouds from the north would arrive to my location soon and imagine myself getting all drenched before i could reach home.
the sky got darker with every seconds. i panicked and i started running. i ran like as though the sky was gonna fall onto me. i started thinking of all the horrible things i saw in the movies. about twisters, about extra terrestrial beings, about space ships etc. my imagination ran wild.
within minutes, i arrived at the canal. and from there i could see my estate. it looked terrible. it looked like the whole estate was covered with black smoke! it was scary. oh my goodness, i thought. please let me get home before it rain, i thought as i ran. i was at my estate gate when huge gusts of winds started blowing. and then it started to drizzle.
i made it home dry.
thankfully.
and then it started pouring.






Hi Jeffrey,
ReplyDeleteThat definitely looks like a severe thurnderstorm: no fun.
Here you can tell it is a tornado sky when it goes green from touching down and gathering debris. Although they seem to usually come at night: even scarier. Fortunately, we don't get that many (knock wood: the weather patterns have become less normal).
It is easy to understand how people used to think severe weather was a punishment from g*d, rather than a random act of impersonal weather patterns. Probably scarier now since it is viewed as uncontrollable.
I hope everyone recovers quickly from the flu.
Best wishes, Edwin
Indeed it was, Edwin.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I must also admit I touched up the photo a little to reflect what I actually saw - darkening the pics. The downpour was superbly intense but last no more than a couple of minutes.
I aupposed its the change in monsoon season that we are experiencing at this time of the year, but certainly, I have never experienced one as intense as what I saw yesterday.
Reminded me somewhat of the hurricane season i went through a decade ago when I was based on Tampa, FL.
Scary...