Friday, 10 July 2026

Random Rants 2 - Neighbours

Let me continue to capture some additional thoughts: 
  • Closeted Bi? Two months ago, I noticed a guy - probably in his late-40s, tall, handsome and very friendly-looking. He lived in one of the blocks of flats that I'd pass by whenever I head out for my meals. From what I observed over time, he is married and has a teenage son. I couldn't help but notice how he would occasionally steal looks at me whenever we crossed paths. More than once, he would throw a smile my way - that kind of discreet, almost secret smile - especially if his wife was beside him. Lately though, he seems to avoid me and would sometimes change direction whenever he sees me. Why is that so? 
  • Snake Plants. My next-door ex-ex-neighbour had a pot of 2 aloe vera plants and another 2 pots of snake plants. It was their domestic helper who maintained them and, if I'm being honest, it wasn't particularly well done. They moved out quite a while back and left the plants behind. After they left, I continued watering and pruning them. I think the current neighbours have assumed that the plants belong to me. The snake plants have since grown new shoots and I managed to repot the babies into new pots. I now have 6 pots of snake plants. They are all so pretty. 
  • Red Bean Soup. Last week, my next-door neighbour came over and handed me a bowl of red bean soup. "I made this myself and hope you enjoy it." So sweet of him, right? 
  • Bloodied Arm. I recently interacted a little more with another neighbour. We had exchanged simple pleasantries whenever we met over the years, but during one of my walks recently, I happened to run into him at the park and noticed he had a bloodied arm. He had tripped over a stone and scraped his arm against the rough path. Since then, whenever we meet, I would ask about his arm and how it was healing. He has since started chatting a little more. Interesting guy. He and his wife (presumably) are probably in their late 40s and are superbly health-conscious. His wife engages a personal trainer and trains several times a week at the car park. 
  • Names. I found out yesterday, from my 4th-floor neighbour, that my 8th-floor neighbour is called Mxxxx - same as my mum. Such a coincidence. I've lived in this block for the last 3 decades and I seriously do not know most of my neighbours' names. Thus far, I have only addressed them as “Mr So-and-so” or “Mrs So-and-so”, or simply, "Hi." 
  • "..." Look. I have another neighbour who never fails to give me this "..." (that can be either interpreted as "WTF" or "Fxxk You", or, at times, fearful) look whenever we cross paths and she’d walk an additional step away from me. It's almost as though I am a threat or I have offended her somehow. This morning, she stared at me so hard I could practically see the whites of her eyes. I always wonder what it is that makes her react that way. Then again, that's for her to manage. I couldn't be bothered. 
  • Creep. And then there's a neighbour whose son (in his late-20s) frequently show up in Grindr. I've seen him grown up over the years and while his family - parents and sis - are always very friendly to me, he has always kept his hostile-looking face whenever we meet. So one day, I sent him a message and said something to the effect of "Hi, it's nice to see you in here.". And his reply - "I don't know you, don't be a creep." How rude!
So yeah, lots of interesting encounters with people around my area. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Part and parcel of life. You do you, and I do me. Life goes on.

2 comments:

  1. Well, nice to know I'm not the only one with less than friendly neighbors. I'm trying to be friendly, at least a little bit, so I'm not the one being accused of being unfriendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is colourful out there… ☺️

      Delete