Friday, 14 March 2025

Mentoring

I signed up as a mentor with a volunteer organisation last month. The mentoring programme provided by this organisation supports students in navigating the job search process and is a collaboration between the school and the volunteer organisation. Successful applicants can then enrol in a diploma programme with the school. This initiative, led by MOE and the school, allows applicants to work (in an industry and role relevant to the course of study) on 4 days and attend lessons on 1 day per week.

The official duration for the mentoring programme is 6 months. However, as in all mentoring programmes, the mentor will end up mentoring the mentee beyond the "official" period given the relationship established. I expect this to be so for my case too as my mentee has decided to forego this current application window and to focus on the next application window that will start only towards the end of this year.

The programme coordinator seemed pretty chill about this even though technically the timeline stretches beyond the 6-month official timeline. I guess this "flexibility" is common amongst volunteer organisations? I didn't want to probe cos for me, the main aim is to help people, whether it is within the programme timeline or otherwise. So...

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment