Saturday, 6 June 2020

Conjunctivitis & the young eye doctor

My left eye started having discharges 4-5 days ago. And the itch started after that. Three days ago, it started getting red and I got a little worried. This happened a couple of days after I had a procedure done on my right eye and it was not the best time to have this developing on my left eye. To make matters worst, more floaters started to appear in my right eye. It's a very unsettling feeling.

Yesterday, I decided to head to my family GP and he refused to treat me. He asked me to head to the hospital A&E immediately. Thankfully, it was nothing serious but a very bad case of conjunctivitis. Was given an antibiotic eye drop, a cleanser and moisturiser. Hopefully the viral infection can clear off soon. For now, it’s swollen and red and I am walking around using mainly my right eye.

Let me also share a bit about the eye doctor. He was the one who saw me last week. He's young, and well, very cute. But well, that is another story altogether. When he saw me again yesterday, the first impression he gave me was that of a grumpy person and that my visit was an inconvenience to him. And as he signalled me to enter his consultation room, his first words were: "come in, so what's the problem with you now?" I really thought this was totally off. But I simply smiled and did what he asked me to do.

As an ex-customer service trainer, I would have advised him to consider using a nicer tone and, perhaps, rephrased his greeting to "Hi Mr Sim, how have you been? So sorry to have to see you again (in context, this is a hospital). How can I help you this time?" Regardless of how familiar you may be with a customer, never assume he/ she appreciates you treating him/ her so casually. He/ She pays you your salary and the least you can do is to give him/ her the respect a customer should deserve. Secondly, never ever suggest a customer has a/ is the "problem". He/ She may have an issue that you can help, but never a problem.

So... yeah, I guess our medical staff, especially the younger ones, may need some customer service training. But yeah, let's hope he picks up some basic EQ/ customer service skills as he matures in his line.

PS: There was another young cutie doctor next door who kept staring me at even as he treated his patient. I have a very strong suspicion he is gay. Anyway, if I were a drama queen and any younger, I would probably be so head-over-heel with him. LOL.. Seemed like I am getting on with age, considering the fact that most of the medical staff seemed to look very young these days.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeffrey,

    No harm in looking and being friendly ;-)

    Best regards, Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Edwin!

    Yeah I should have done that... nothing to lose!

    :-)


    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete