Thursday, 11 June 2020

Grindr & Confidence

Today, I felt the power of confidence. And I decided to translate this confidence into an opportunity to put someone rude in place. I would not do such things usually as I’m not a confrontational person by nature. But I decided I should do it this time round. And I felt good doing so. Attractive, even. Here’s the story. 

You see, I had gone for a walk in the park near my estate and as always I took off my singlet and walked topless. I turned on my Grindr to check who's around me and I saw a couple of familiar profiles but I didn't really gave a hoot about their presence. I went on to do some static exercises and a message came in. I thought it was weird cos I don't usually get messages as it wasn't my habit to communicate with people in Grindr. I took a read and it went... 

"So fat still go topless" 

My first thoughts were - That’s so rude - and I replied: 

"Well as long as I'm comfortable, who cares if I'm fat or thin" 

I continued my exercise after wishing him well. But I thought my response didn’t feel right and I decided to indicate my displeasure. I added: 

"I hope this is not an attempt to humiliate me" 

And a little while later, I decided to go one step further to put him in place and added: 

"You have to learn some manners young man" 

I thought he had stepped over the line and at his age (he is 34 yrs old according to his profile), he should jolly well know how to be respectful. By using the term "young man", it allowed me, in a way, to express and exert my dominance over him. I feel very good. In no time, his message and profile disappeared from my screen - He blocked me. 

Lol! Never mess with this uncle.

PS: often, as gay men, we tend to be more conscious about how we present ourselves. We want to look good and project ourselves as attractive, at times even to the point of allowing people to step onto us (esp if the person is desirable). This is particularly so when we have the belief that we are inferior in certain aspects (eg physique, age, looks, etc). Not a good thing but well, that’s a fact. We just need to learn and to grow our confidence. Agree?

4 comments:

  1. Did this guy see you walking outside? Agree, it was very rude for him to make that comment to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rob,

    Actually I don’t know how he look like but noted he was in close proximity, judging from the distance indicated in my Grindr app. I had my pic in my profile and I supposed be recognized me. Thought his remark was totally uncalled for. Then again, he should have seen me 2 months ago when I was 7kg (15lbs) heavier.

    Lol!


    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg.

    You looked sauve even with "one eye jack". You are a go getter!

    Kg

    ReplyDelete